India to have 966 million mobile users by 2023 but less than 5% will have 5G: report
- Two in every three users are expected to have a mobile phone by 2023, while one in two users will have a smartphone.
- Broadband users are expected to reach 700 million even as 4G users are expected to double in the same period.
- 5G could remain relatively less popular even in 2023, with a share of under 5% of the market.
However, according to a Cisco report, the growth rate of devices connected to the internet will be seven times that of the population growth rate by 2023.
The forecast states that India will have 2.1 billion connected devices by 2023, increasing from 1.5 billion in 2018. This means that at an estimated population of 1.42 billion by 2023, there will be three connected devices for every two individuals.
AdvertisementSmartphones could cover 55% of the population
The report also claims that smartphones could be used by 55% of the total population by 2023, growing from 610.9 million in 2018 at a rate of 5% compounded annually.
Interestingly, internet connected devices are estimated to grow at 7% - higher than both smartphones as well as mobile connected devices. This suggests that Indians could continue to buy non-portable devices which are connected to the internet – this could include things like TVs and other home appliances.
Half of the population to have a broadband connection
Despite the pan-India availability of 4G services, the report says that Indians could increasingly opt for a wired or wireless broadband connection.
Estimates in the report suggest that nearly half of the Indian population could have a broadband connection by 2023, growing from 359.8 million in 2018 to 697.4 million in 2023 at a rate of 14.2%.
4G will continue to dominate, 5G share to be under 5%
Although 5G trials in India are expected to start some time later this year, the next-gen technology is expected to remain a rarity with a share of under 5%. 4G is expected to dominate with a share of 53.1%, while 3G and other connections will be at 38.7% of the total mobile connections.
Mobile application downloads to register explosive growth
App downloads in India are expected to register explosive growth over the next three years. The report suggests that there will be 46.2 billion apps downloaded by 2023, more than doubling from 20.7 billion in 2018.
Of these, business app downloads are expected to register the highest growth at 28.3%, with total downloads reaching 17.9 billion. Social media and messaging app downloads are expected to reach 17.8 billion, while mobile game downloads are expected to reach 10.5 billion.
How the Internet of Things will transform consumerism, enterprises, and governments over the next five years
Safer Internet Day: Here are the things that may be compromising your internet safety
The most hacked accounts use passwords like - Iloveyou, 12345 and princess
Popular on BI
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Google to open its new office in Pune this year, will hire cloud technology experts
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- India’s 73rd Republic Day – Here are some inspirational quotes to remember
- Adani Wilmar is a good FMCG bet to invest at a reasonable IPO price, say analysts
- Sensex tanks over 900 points, Nifty slips below 17,000 — Asian Paints, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, L&T, Reliance Industries and HDFC Bank top losers
- Indian smartphone market grew 12% with record 162 million shipments in 2021: Canalys
- India's daily COVID-19 cases fall after five days, positivity rate dips to 15.5%