Samsung Display showcases the future of rollable, foldable smartphones
Samsunghas shown off a new range of foldable display concepts, addressing potential use cases. Samsung Displaymakes OLED panels for Samsung and other companies.
- The concepts were shown off at the ongoing 2021 SID Display Week.
AdvertisementThe future of smartphones could be rollable, foldable and could even flex, going by the next-generation OLED products shown off by Samsung Display at the 2021 SID Display Week.
The virtual event, organized by Society for Information Display (SID), includes a long list of industry heavyweights, including Samsung’s rival LG Display, BOE, JDI Display, TCL, Tianma, AU Optronics among others.
Samsung Display is a division of Samsung Electronics. It rolled out the first mass produced foldable display for smartphones, which was used in the
Here are the foldable display concepts showcased by Samsung
Samsung’s foldable display concepts could give rise to a new range of form factors.
17-inch foldable device
You could essentially have a
If this seems like something you have already seen, it’s probably because of the ill-fated Microsoft Surface Neo concept. Samsung’s solution is just bigger.
This is closer to the traditional foldable phones that are available in the market today – like the Galaxy Z Fold 2. However, Samsung has slightly tweaked the design that allows you to fold the display two times, making it more compact than the current phones.
Slidable phones could be a reality one day, too
What if you can simply pull out an additional display from under your existing one, and it can act as an extended screen? This is what Samsung’s slidable display concept looks like.
It’s essentially like pulling out a drawer extension so you have more space to work with, while maintaining a minimal footprint.
Under display camera
Lastly, Samsung has also shown off a concept display with a camera that can be hidden under the screen. This concept works for both phones as well as laptops, but it remains to be seen how it affects the image quality.
It is worth noting that these are just concepts and may not necessarily end up being manufactured. However, this shows us that Samsung is continuing to work in this direction, and some of this may eventually end up being used in a future smartphone.
Smartphones are back in demand as shipments grow by 25% – Samsung, Apple, Xiaomi consolidate market share
Apple analyst predicts an 8-inch foldable iPhone to launch in 2023
Xiaomi patents new foldable smartphone
Popular on BI
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry