Samsung Display showcases the future of rollable, foldable smartphones
Samsunghas shown off a new range of foldable display concepts, addressing potential use cases. Samsung Displaymakes OLED panels for Samsung and other companies.
- The concepts were shown off at the ongoing 2021 SID Display Week.
The virtual event, organized by Society for Information Display (SID), includes a long list of industry heavyweights, including Samsung’s rival LG Display, BOE, JDI Display, TCL, Tianma, AU Optronics among others.
Samsung Display is a division of Samsung Electronics. It rolled out the first mass produced foldable display for smartphones, which was used in the
Here are the foldable display concepts showcased by Samsung
Samsung’s foldable display concepts could give rise to a new range of form factors.
17-inch foldable device
You could essentially have a
If this seems like something you have already seen, it’s probably because of the ill-fated Microsoft Surface Neo concept. Samsung’s solution is just bigger.
This is closer to the traditional foldable phones that are available in the market today – like the Galaxy Z Fold 2. However, Samsung has slightly tweaked the design that allows you to fold the display two times, making it more compact than the current phones.
Slidable phones could be a reality one day, too
What if you can simply pull out an additional display from under your existing one, and it can act as an extended screen? This is what Samsung’s slidable display concept looks like.
It’s essentially like pulling out a drawer extension so you have more space to work with, while maintaining a minimal footprint.
Under display camera
Lastly, Samsung has also shown off a concept display with a camera that can be hidden under the screen. This concept works for both phones as well as laptops, but it remains to be seen how it affects the image quality.
It is worth noting that these are just concepts and may not necessarily end up being manufactured. However, this shows us that Samsung is continuing to work in this direction, and some of this may eventually end up being used in a future smartphone.
Smartphones are back in demand as shipments grow by 25% – Samsung, Apple, Xiaomi consolidate market share
Apple analyst predicts an 8-inch foldable iPhone to launch in 2023
Xiaomi patents new foldable smartphone
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- The best wildlife photos of the year show a curious grizzly, dueling reindeer, and fish swimming through a cloud of sperm
- Trading app Public lists shiba inu coin on its trading platform as the Robinhood rival broadens crypto offerings
- Best artificial flowers for living room decoration in India
- This Ethereum-based metaverse is letting crypto fans own land on the Red Planet, even though international space laws would disagree
- Unemployment rate in India sees a dip after a month
- L&T aims to become carbon neutral by 2040 and here's how
- Paytm may drop its pre-IPO sale as advisors recommend lower valuation