Apple’s new Find My feature updated to prevent stalking as launch of the rumoured AirTags nears
Apple’s latest in line of privacy features could be Item Safety Alertswhich notifies you when an unknown tracker is found near you.
- The feature is currently available in iOS 14.5 beta, suggesting that we are drawing closer to the launch of Apple’s AirTags tracker.
Item trackersuse a ‘community’ of similar devices to broadcast their location even without internet.
AdvertisementApple could be working on a new Find My feature to prevent stalking, according to a spotting in iOS 14.5 beta. The Find My app has been updated with a new safety feature that would automatically prevent unknown tracking devices from broadcasting your location details.
According to a report by 9to5Mac, the Item Safety Alerts feature will notify you if an unknown tracking device has been placed in your pocket or belongings, and is tracking your location. You will then be able to remove or disable the tracker to prevent it from stalking you.
It also looks like Apple wants you to keep this feature enabled. According to Apple blogger Benjamin Mayo, when you try to turn this feature off, the system warns you that the owner of an unknown item will be able to see your location and track you.
Something I hadn’t considered before: new beta includes a Item Safety setting in Find My. This is how Apple is tryi… https://t.co/EKjRJBn7RF— Benjamin Mayo (@bzamayo) 1614868566000
How do these item trackers work?
Item trackers like
These item trackers use a ‘community’ of similar devices to continuously broadcast their location to the owner. This allows them to work even without internet, making them an excellent option and allowing them to work independently of your phone.
However, the downside of this is that a stalker can easily place one of these trackers in your pocket, bag or other belongings, making it extremely easy to track your movements. The fact that these trackers are tiny makes things even worse.
Apple’s new Item Safety Alerts feature is intended to alert you and prevent you from being stalked.
There have been incidents of people being stalked using these item trackers. For instance, a Houston woman was stalked and harassed by her ex who hid a Tile tracker in the console of her car.
Apple to launch long-waited AirTags along with new iPad Pro in March, says report
Apple has reportedly begun producing a new product called AirTags that will help you track lost items with your iPhone
One of my favorite tech gadgets prevents me from ever losing my phone, wallet, or keys - and it only costs $35
Popular on BI
- I bought a car wash at 22 years old. It basically runs itself — and I make $5,500 in passive income each month.
- Companies say Elon Musk's plan to charge $1,000 for month for Twitter checkmarks is 'outlandish' and makes them 'meaningless'
- A lawyer who quit to become an OnlyFans performer says she now makes more money and is happier
- Revolutionising the workplace: How RPA is transforming business processes
- China now bails out countries after pushing them into 'debt-trap'
- IPL 2023 – schedule, how to watch IPL for free, venues, new rules and more
- Fired H1B visa holders have 'multiple options', wrong to assume they have to leave in 60 days: USCIS director
- NSE, BSE put Adani Green Energy under second stage of longterm ASM framework from Mar 28