New Apple iOS: If you have these devices, it might be time to upgrade
- Apple announced a slew of updates to iOS, iPadOS and watchOS at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).
- The new operating system updates include new features focused around communication, sharing and smarter input, among other things.
- Apple has dropped support for several
iPhonesand iPads, here’s the full list.
AdvertisementApple announced a slew of updates to iOS, iPadOS and watchOS at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2023 on Monday, bringing a range of new features and improvements. The new operating system updates include new features focused around communication, sharing and smarter input, among others.
However, as is usual with major software updates, Apple has dropped support for several iPhones and iPads.
As for iPads, those with A12 Bionic chipset, or Apple M1 and M2 chipset are all supported. The iPad 6th generation with the A10 chipset is the only exception – it will still get the iPadOS 17 update.
On the other hand, Apple has also dropped support for iPads launched before 2018.
Unsupported iPhones and iPads
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus or older
- iPhone X
- iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2nd generation and earlier
- iPad 5th generation and earlier
- iPad mini 4th generation and earlier
What happens if you use an unsupported iPhone or iPad?
Unsupported iPhones and iPads will still continue to remain functional and receive almost all app updates. However, they will no longer get new features. Fortunately, Apple does release critical security updates over-the-air from time to time. But these updates only address severe issues, so minor security issues will still persist.
If you have an unsupported iPhone or iPad, you might want to consider upgrading to a newer iPhone or iPad.
iPhones compatible with the iOS 17 update
AdvertisementiPhones powered by the Apple A12 Bionic chipset or later will all receive the iOS 17 update.
The following iPhones will receive the iOS 17 update:
- iPhone XS and XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone 13, 13 mini, 13 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd gen)
- iPad Pro 2nd generation or later
- iPad Air 3rd generation or later
- iPad 6th generation or later
- iPad mini 5th generation or later
IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
Explained: What is Kavach? The Railways’ protective armour missing in Odisha
RBI monetary policy: MPC likely to keep the pause-button pressed
Popular on BI
- 10 cafes in Bangalore offering the best of ambiance and cuisine
- Centre's fiscal deficit at Aug-end touches 36% of full-year target: CGA
- Domestic occupiers keep office space demand high in 2023
- Nifty, Sensex bounce back on Friday but experts see resistance at higher levels
- Temperature's Toll: Hospitals see a surge in drug and alcohol abuse-related visits on hotter nights, study reveals