Kerala's tally hits 587, with 87 active coronavirus cases, 497 recovered and three deaths
- Coronavirus cases in Kerala have hit 587, with 87 active cases, 497 patients who have recovered and 3 deaths.
- The government has approved a proposal to increase the sales tax on liquor by 10% on beer and wine alongside a 35% hike in other categories.
- Thomas Isaac, Kerala’s Finance Minister, stated that Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman’s stimulus package for India was “disappointing”.
- Follow the comprehensive coverage of the Coronavirus pandemic in India on Business Insider India.
|Total coronavirus cases||587|
|Active coronavirus cases||87|
|Recovered coronavirus patients||497|
|Deaths due to coronavirus||3|
The recovery rate for coronavirus in Kerala is at 84.67% with a mortality rate of 0.51%, according to the data provided by the Kerala Health Ministry. The Chief Secretary of Kerala Tom Jose claims that this is the best recovery rate in India compared the nationwide average of 32%. The districts of Malappuram, Ernakulam, Thiruvananthapuram have reported one death each.
Kerala and plasma therapy to fight coronavirus
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has received proposals from six hospitals in Kerala looking to participate in the organisation’s plasma therapy clinical trials. Four of which are government-owned and two are private.
Overall, ICMR has received proposals from 76 institutions to participate in its ‘A phase II, Open-Label, Randomized Controlled Trial to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of Convalescence Plasma to Limit COVID-19 Associated Complications in Moderate Disease’ — the PLACID trial, in short.
Kerala was one of the first states in India to test the coronavirus mitigation method on an experimental basis. ICMR gave clearance to a team of 17 doctors from Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences. However, permits were pulled a mere five days later when ICMR informed the health department that it was initiating its own clinical trial, and hospitals could participate in the nationwide effort.
Kerala Finance Minister calls India’s ₹20 lakh crore economic package ‘disappointing’
Kerala’s Finance Minister Thomas Issac called the stimulus package presented by India’s Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman “disappointing” while hoping that further details will yield more relief for migrant workers.
If the first days package of Union FM is a fair sample the ₹20 lakh stimulus is going to be deeply disappointing. T… https://t.co/GxkTPsP259— Thomas Isaac (@drthomasisaac) 1589380919000
Alcohol in Kerala is going to get expensive as the government tries to recover revenue loss
The Kerala state cabinet has approved the proposal to increase the sales tax on liquor, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan told the press. It suggests a 10% hike on beer and wine alongside a 35% increase on other categories of alcohol to help boost revenue collection from Indian-made foreign liquor (IMFL).
The current tax stands at 202% for alcohol below ₹400 and 212% for alcohol above the ₹400 threshold. The revision will result in the new rates being at 237% and 247% respectively.
Major updates of coronavirus in Kerala:
|30 January||First case of coronavirus positive patient in Kerala|
|9 March||Second wave of coronavirus cases|
|10 March||All colleges and schools shut down|
|23 March||Statewide lockdown announced|
|24 March||Kerala hits 100 coronavirus cases|
|25 March||Nationwide lockdown comes into effect|
|28 March||First patient dies due to coronavirus|
|10 April||First 100 coronavirus positive patients recover|
|13 April||Number of recovered patients crosses number of active cases|
|5 May||Total number of coronavirus cases in Kerala crosses 500|
District wise division of coronavirus cases in Kerala:
Source: Daily Bulletin, Directorate of Health Service, Government of Kerala
AdvertisementMap of hotspots and red zones in Kerala:
List of hotposts and red zones in Kerala:
|Sl. No.||District||Local self governance needing special attention||Containment zones|
|2||Idukki||Elappara||11, 12, 13|
|7||Kannur||Koothuparamba (M)||All Wards|
|8||Kannur||Kottayam Malabar||All Wards|
|11||Kannur||Panoor (M)||All Wards|
|18||Kollam||Thrikkaruva||9, 10, 12, 13|
|19||Kottayam||Kottayam (M)||2, 18|
|23||Kozhikode||Kozhikode (C)||42, 43, 44, 45, 54, 55, 56|
|24||Palakkad||Kuzhalmannam||10, 11, 15|
|26||Trivandrum||Neyyattinkara (M)||1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 37, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44|
|27||Trivandrum||Varkala (M)||16, 17|
|30||Wayanad||Mananthavady (M)||All Wards|
|31||Wayanad||Meenangadi||8, 9, 10, 17|
|33||Wayanad||Vellamunda||9, 10, 11, 12|
Source: DHS Bulletin
Coronavirus cases in Tamil Nadu news and updates
Coronavirus cases in Haryana news and updates
Coronavirus cases in Maharashtra news and updates
Popular on BI
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- After a near-record run at the top of Netflix's US Top 10 list, pop culture smash 'Squid Game' has been bumped by another show
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Your phone may replace your metro card soon — DMRC is planning to introduce NFC payments at entry gates
- Crypto hackers now target iPhone users via dating apps like Bumble, Tinder
- HP Envy 14 review: A solid no-frills laptop for productivity and occasional gaming
- How to edit PDF online using your browser
- Consumer demand for bigger homes in Mumbai is rising — is a price hike on the cards?