Doctors are telling trans women they have to wear lipstick and feminine clothing to receive medical care, UK lawmakers say
- Some doctors in the UK are telling
transgenderwomen to wear lipstick and wear more "feminine" clothes, UK parliament heard.
- Trans women have been told they should look a certain way to prove their gender identity and access medical care.
- British Members of Parliament heard testimony on this issue as they discussed the Gender Recognition Act (GRA).
Some UK doctors are asking trans women to wear more lipstick and "feminine" clothing in order to prove their gender, reported the Telegraph.
British Members of Parliament heard testimony on the issue as an example of medical transphobia during a discussion on reforming the Gender Recognition Act (GRA) on May 13. According to Equal Recognition Scotland, the act currently requires a trans person to submit a detailed account of their gender dysphoria in order to access medical care.
Dr. Harriet Hutchinson, an organizer at Action for Trans
Hutchinson told a parliamentary select committee cisgender doctors enforce these guidelines by interrogating trans women about their gender presentation, particularly scrutinizing the patients for not wearing makeup or dresses to medical appointments.
"So the idea of having to prove your gender is very reductive and forces trans people to conform to stereotypes in order to receive a diagnosis and then, of course, receive criticism for perpetuating gender stereotypes," Hutchinson said.
Activists and trans rights organizations are calling for the act to be reformed with more inclusive definitions around gender dysphoria.
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal
- Stocks rebound: Sensex jumps over 500 points, Nifty hits fresh high