Here’s how to fix Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows laptop
Photo by Marvin Meyer on Unsplash
- Here are some easy steps you can follow to fix your
- Firstly, you should check if your laptop’s
Wi-Fiis turned on.
- Connect other devices to the Wi-Fi network to see if there is a problem with the Wi-Fi network.
AdvertisementIf you are unable to open a new webpage, send an email or stream a video on the web, it is likely that your laptop is not connected to the Wi-Fi network. Nothing is more frustrating than the laptop not connecting to the Wi-Fi network, especially when you want to begin your work online. The issue is not alien to
To find out if the problem is with the Wi-Fi network or your laptop. Make sure your Wi-Fi is enabled on your laptop. Connect another device to the Wi-Fi network. If another device connects to the Wi-Fi network, then you will have to fix the issue on the laptop. If it doesn’t connect to the laptop, then the problem is with the network and you will have to troubleshoot it.
There are some easy steps that you can follow to fix the connection issue between your laptop and the Wi-Fi network.
Here’s how you can fix the Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows laptop
Things to check on your laptop
- Firstly, check if your Wi-Fi is turned on. To make sure, select the “No internet connection” icon at the bottom right of your screen and turn the Wi-Fi on.
- Make sure that the laptop is not in “Airplane mode”. If it is on, turn it off from the same Wi-Fi menu.
- Check the list of Wi-Fi networks and see if your trusted network is visible on the list. If it is, then connect to the network. If it display “Connected” then disconnect it and connect again.
- Try connecting to a different frequency band. Wi-Fi routers with dual-band frequency display two different network names for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. If you are connected to one network and there is no internet connection, you can try connecting to the other network.
- Ensure that the Wi‑Fi switch that has an indicator on your laptop is turned on.
- Run the Network troubleshooter. It can help diagnose the problem and fix it.
- Select the Start button and go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status.
- Here under Advanced network settings, select Network troubleshooter.
- Follow the steps in the troubleshooter, and see if that fixes the problem.
Steps to restart your modem and router
- Disconnect the cables of both your modem and router.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds before plugging the modem back into the power source.
- Wait for the lights on the modem to stop blinking.
- Plug your router back into the power source.
- Wait for a few minutes and check if your laptop is connecting to the Wi-Fi.
You can also reboot your laptop and see if it connects to the Wi-Fi network. Sometimes, this simple method can solve your problem.
Changing the IP address could also resolve the problem.
How to change the IP address
- Hold the Windows key on your keyboard, and press R simultaneously to open the Run command box.
- Type cmd and press Enter key.
- A black window will appear. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter. Wait for the command to complete.
- Once the command completes, type ipconfig /renew and press Enter. Wait for the command to complete.
- Now Connect your laptop to Wi-Fi and see if it works.
How to reset your Wi-Fi driver
- Hold the Windows logo key, and simultaneously press the Pause button. Or you can go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System
- Select Device Manager.
- From the list of items, double-click on Network adapters. Then right-click on your Wi-Fi driver software and select Uninstall device.
- Then restart your laptop.
- Wait for some time after the boot is complete and try to connect to the Wi-Fi again.
You can update your Wi-Fi driver manually by visiting the manufacturer’s website for your wireless network card. Search for the most recent driver that is compatible with your device and update it. Connect your laptop to the Wi-Fi and check the connection.
You can also turn off third-party antivirus software temporarily as they may block the Wi-Fi connectivity sometimes. These methods should help you solve the problem of Wi-Fi connection issues with your Windows laptop. You can also check the guidelines from Microsoft here. If there is a connection issue with your network provider, you may contact them to resolve it.
Here’s how to download photos and videos from a WhatsApp status
How to size and upload a YouTube banner to give your channel custom art
Here’s how to maximise the battery life of your iPhone
Popular on BI
- Reliance Industries will be hosting its 45th AGM this month — all your need to know
- Great Freedom Festival deals on kitchen products—buy induction cooker, microwave oven, mixer grinder, and more at discount
- Best Amazon deals on large appliances - AC, TV, Fridge, Washing machine, Dishwasher
- Best deals on fashion and beauty during Amazon Great Freedom Festival
- Best deals on furniture items during the sale