Why sex can help your menstrual cramps and other benefits of period sex
Sexhelps with menstrual cramps because orgasming releases endorphins, which can help dull pain and even soothe other PMS symptoms like headaches. Period sexmay also reduce stress and help you feel more lubricated.
- If you're worried about a mess during period sex, try putting a towel down first or having sex in the shower.
Many people shy away from period sex. However, having sex while you're on your period can certainly still be enjoyable. Plus, it can actually result in some unexpected benefits that might make your period more bearable.
If you're comfortable communicating with your partner, you may want to discuss the potential benefits of period sex. Here's what you need to know.
Sex helps get rid of period crampsCramps are one of the top complaints when people have their periods. Luckily, period sex can help relieve these cramps, says Sherry A. Ross, MD, OB/GYN and women's
Aside from this physical relaxation of the uterus, there are also feel-good hormones released when you have an orgasm, called endorphins, says Ross. Endorphins activate opioid receptors in the body, which can help temporarily relieve pain. Opioid receptors are part of a system in the body that controls pain.Because of this, pain from cramps can be relieved whether they are period cramps or premenstrual syndrome (PMS) cramps that occur one to three days before your period. These natural painkillers can also help with other aches and pains related to your period, like headaches.
You don't need to have partnered sex in order to experience these benefits - solo sex works, too. Ross says that orgasming from masturbation will produce these beneficial effects, as well.If you are having partnered sex, be sure to use a condom to protect you from STIs and unwanted pregnancy.
Other benefits of period sexIf relief from cramps isn't enough to get you excited about period sex, there are a few other benefits, too.
- Natural lubrication: Ross says some folks experience more lubrication because there is more blood flow to the vagina and uterus during your period. Plus, period blood itself can act as a natural lubricant.
- Increased sex drive during period: Many folks experience a boost in their libido during ovulation, Ross says. This is when an egg is released, about two weeks before your period begins. While Ross says ovulation is when the hormones are in your favor for greater arousal, some people also report that they experience a higher sex drive during their period.
Periodsex may reduce stress: Sex is a great stress reliever, Ross says. Similar to the reason why period sex can relieve cramps, the mood boost can be linked to the endorphins that are released during sex. Additionally, orgasms release the hormone oxytocin, which can counteract the effects of the stress hormone cortisol, also making you feel more relaxed.
If you and your partner are comfortable having period sex, there's no reason you shouldn't indulge in it. You can experience the multiple health benefits and bring some much-needed fun into menstruation. If you're worried about a mess during period sex, try shower sex or putting down a towel first.
Related articles from Health Reference:
- Infosys, Wipro, HDFC Bank and other stocks to watch out for on April 15
- India's largest opposition party blames national media for its lack of influence — but its new YouTube channel may only be targeting the Hindi belt
- Kellogg expands its portfolio by launching more Indianised products
- Infosys plans to hire 25,000 freshers over the next 12 months — a 26% boost for campus hiring in India
- IPL 2021: Rajasthan Royals and Delhi Capitals have won 11 matches each in the 22 times they clashed