Google is testing a shortcut feature for TikTok and Instagram videos
- Google ‘Short Videos’ carousel, which is currently still in its testing stages, has added TikTok and
Instagram videosto its library.
- Short Videos is currently restricted to a limited number of search queries, like Biryani and the Green Bay Packers.
- Rather than having to open individual apps to watch short videos, Google’s new feature allows users to search for videos within Google mobile app and watch them on their phone’s default browser.
The supreme aggregator of the internet is living up to its name with plans to launch a carousel that will aggregate videos from TikTok and Instagram within Google’s mobile app — or Google Discover.
Rather than having to open individual apps to watch short videos, Google has been testing a new feature that will let you watch videos within the search results. Instagram and
Before you get too excited, the feature is only available for a limited number of search queries — like the Green Bay Packers as discovered by Brian Freisleben or Biryani as Saad AK noted on Twitter.
It’s also unlikely to turn into a way for users in India to undercut the government’s TikTok ban. But it could prove useful to find alternative sources of short videos without having to download individual apps and test them out.
For Google, it will allow the company to capitalise on the mass popularity of these videos without having to create its own content. It will also help the technology giant retain users who are looking for entertainment by giving them options within its own app.
Google’s short videos
The ‘Short Videos’ carousel was first spotted within Google Discover in August, earlier this year. Usually, the feed consists of articles that match a user's interests. At times, it may also feature YouTube videos, the weather or cricket scores.
Before TikTok and Instagram were added to the mix, Google was seen featuring content from Google’s Area 120 project Tangi and India’s homegrown app Trell.
According to 9to5Google, users are able to play these short videos within the default web browser — even if the user has the native app installed — with options to mute, share and navigate.
The Short Videos carousel is different from another product that Google is working on, YouTube’s ‘Shorts’. However, the carousel may serve as a way for the company to feature short videos from its new service once it’s live.
Short Videos is also different from Google Stories, which rolled out in October. Stories consist of short video content that is created by Google’s online publishing partners like Forbes, Vice and others.
India detects 14 new cases of mutated COVID-19 strain in UK returnees, putting the tally at 20
Three Anil Ambani companies have reportedly been accused of fraud by banks — the amount at stake is nearly ten times more than what Mallya owed
The new strain of COVID-19 is a lot more contagious, warns India's Health Ministry
Popular on BI
- Garlic: A pungent panacea for health and flavor
- Top 20 most sought after startups that Indians want to work for
- itel launches India's most affordable 5G smartphone 'P55 Power 5G' under Rs 10K
- Dunzo laying off 150-200 more employees amid fresh funding news: Reports
- Checkout the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 matches that will be played in Mumbai