Emmys 2021: Netflix beats HBO for the first time with the most number of awards
Netflixfor the first time took the top spot at the Emmys with a total of 44 wins.
- HBO has been the leader except for a tie with Netflix in 2018.
- The Crown and The Queen’s Gambit took home the most number of awards overall.
AdvertisementNetflix has finally replaced HBO with the most number of wins at the Emmys. This year, Netflix grabbed as many as 44 Emmy awards which include the primetime awards and also the Creative Arts Emmys from last weekend. This is a first for Netflix which gives the company bragging rights for its original production and not just its streaming service. HBO has been the titleholder except for a tie with Netflix in 2018.
Netflix’s The Crown and The Queen’s Gambit bagged the most number of awards and even tied with 11 wins. Love, Death + Robot won six awards, RuPaul’s Drag Race won five, while Bo Burnham: Inside and David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet got 3. Netflix actually rounded up more awards than the next two companies combined. It had already entered the Emmys Primetime award ceremony with 34 wins from the Creative Arts Emmys for artistic and technical achievement in television. The first time Netflix entered the Emmys was back in 2013 which also made it the first streaming service to earn major nominations.
HBO and Apple TV+
HBO came second with a total of 19 awards at the
Complimentary Tech Event
Transform talent with learning that works
Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation.Know More
Apple TV+ which saw a fresh lineup and renewed shows at the iPhone 13 launch also won 11 Emmys with Ted Lasso being the frontrunner and its first series win.
Netflix TUDUM event
Netflix is also hosting its first-ever global fan event ‘TUDUM’ on September 25. It’s a virtual event streaming globally, and it will showcase exclusives and first looks of Netflix series, films and specials. The event will also feature stars and creators from around the world representing over 70 series, films and specials.
Locally manufactured iPhones dominate the Indian market as Foxconn and Winston increase production
Google could be working on a Galaxy Fold-style foldable smartphone
Popular on BI
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- The crowd at the unveiling of Apple's Vision Pro headset let out a collective groan when they found out how wildly expensive it was
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- Dalal Street set for a sustained upswing as RBI interest rates peak
- Workplace toxicity is common but not enough gets recorded, say HR veterans
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open on a tepid note amid mixed global cues: Adani group, Torrent Power, Mazagon Dock among stocks to watch
- These midcap stocks can be the next multibaggers, according to Goldman Sachs
- Auto and BFSI seen driving India Inc’s earnings growth this financial year