Chris Hemsworth took on a new full-body workout to prepare for all the stunts in 'Extraction 2,' his trainer says — here's how it works
- Chris Hemsworth was known for his muscular arms while playing Thor.
- A focus on heavy weightlifting and a high-calorie diet helped him achieve that look.
Previously, Hemsworth's lifestyle involved heavy-weightlifting, blood flow restriction training, and a high-calorie diet — all key to getting "arms like the legs of a racehorse" to play Thor.
For his latest role as Tyler Rake in "Extraction 2," Zocchi said Hemsworth is focusing more on bodyweight workouts to work his whole body instead of isolating certain muscles with a much smaller diet than in years past.
Here's a look at how Hemsworth's fitness approach has changed under Zocchi's guidance to prepare for his new role, which begins shooting on November 22.
Hemsworth is doing more movement and shorter rest periods to prepare for all the stunts
Hemsworth's new training sessions are based around constant movement, with boxing, some weight training, bodyweight training, and core work all in one session, according to Zocchi.
"We are focusing on more full-body functional training as opposed to isolation training targeting specific muscles," Zocchi told Insider. "For this role, in particular, we are also doing a lot of work on mobility and bodyweight training so can be prepared for all the stunts he has in his shoot."
"The biggest adjustment from his training for 'Thor' for this role is going from lifting heavy weights with longer rest periods to now more movement with shorter rest periods," Zocchi added.
In the first "Extraction" movie, which came out in summer 2020, Hemsworth did all of his stunts. It required more athleticism and less bulk than his role as Thor, in which he had his stunt double Bobby Holland Hanton take care of most of the action.
Now, Hemsworth is gearing up to top his stunt performance by doubling down on athletic training for the second installment.
Hemsworth isn't the first Hollywood actor to pivot from heavy weightlifting to bodyweight workouts. Other movie stars like Jason Statham, Jamie Foxx, and Charlie Hunnam all built their training regimens exclusively around bodyweight workouts.
- Goa partners with World Bank to tackle sea level rise, coastal erosion and other climate change-related hazards
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Ring with health-tracking features at MWC
- Govt may look at enhanced KYC requirements for certain class of corporates
- Sebi cautions investors against fraudulent trading platforms offering stock mkt access via FPI route
- Ghazal maestro Pankaj Udhas passes away at 72