Experimental US Hypersonic Weapon Explodes During Flight Test
No one was injured in the incident, which occurred shortly after 4 a.m. ET at the Kodiak Launch Complex in Alaska, said Maureen Schumann, spokeswoman for the U.S.
"The weapon exploded during takeoff and fell back down the range complex," Schumann said.
The weapon was developed by Sandia National Laboratory and the U.S. Army, as part of the military's "Conventional Prompt Global Strike" technology development program, which is seeking to build a weapon that can destroy targets anywhere on earth within an hour of getting data and permission to launch.
Schumann said officials from the program, the U.S. Army, Navy, and Missile Defense Agency were conducting an extensive investigation to determine the cause of the accident.
(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)
More from this author
- In Defense Of Marissa Mayer
- Secretary Of Defense Hagel Called 'Secretary Of De...
- Watch the FCC Chair's impassioned defense of net n...
- REPORTS: A Secretary Of Defense Nominee Has Been C...
- Johnny Manziel Taunted By Bengals Defense After Sa...
- Former Defense Secretary shares leadership lessons...
- Here's How The World's Most Advanced Missile Defen...
15 most beautiful women in the world
Bollywood actresses most Googled in 2016
Top 10 highest paying jobs in USA
Help family recover from a horrific accident!
10 Bollywood celebrities with Miss India title
13-yr-old Ashwini needs help to fight Cancer!