Experimental US Hypersonic Weapon Explodes During Flight Test
No one was injured in the incident, which occurred shortly after 4 a.m. ET at the Kodiak Launch Complex in Alaska, said Maureen Schumann, spokeswoman for the U.S.
"The weapon exploded during takeoff and fell back down the range complex," Schumann said.
The weapon was developed by Sandia National Laboratory and the U.S. Army, as part of the military's "Conventional Prompt Global Strike" technology development program, which is seeking to build a weapon that can destroy targets anywhere on earth within an hour of getting data and permission to launch.
Schumann said officials from the program, the U.S. Army, Navy, and Missile Defense Agency were conducting an extensive investigation to determine the cause of the accident.
(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)
More from this author
- In Defense Of Marissa Mayer
- Secretary Of Defense Hagel Called 'Secretary Of De...
- Watch the FCC Chair's impassioned defense of net n...
- REPORTS: A Secretary Of Defense Nominee Has Been C...
- Johnny Manziel Taunted By Bengals Defense After Sa...
- Former Defense Secretary shares leadership lessons...
- Here's How The World's Most Advanced Missile Defen...
Own monthly rent generating property for as little as 10 lac
Lodha Amara @ Kolshet Thane - 1, 2 & 3 bhks @ 58 lac+
Lodha Amara - Kolshet Thane
Own monthly rent generating property for as little as ₹5L
Pre Launch Piramal Vaikunth Thane 2 & 3 bhks @ Rs. 85L+
Piramal Vaikunth Thane
Lodha Palava Smart city @Kalyan Shil Rd 1,2&3 bhk @37lac+
Lodha Palava Smart City Mumbai
Grade A commercial property leased to blue-chip tenant @ 9%