Microsoft Billionaire Paul Allen Reportedly Sold This Painting For $56.2 Million
The piece was "Untitled (Red, Blue, Orange)," completed by modern artist Mark Rothko in 1955. Rothko works are extremely valuable - a similar painting sold for $66.2 million at Christie's earlier this month.
Allen bought the work for $34.2 million in 2007, and he was guaranteed an undisclosed minimum amount regardless of how much it sold for this week.
The $56.2 million Allen's painting fetched made up for 43% of total sales for the night's auction, which also featured pieces by Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat. The night's $132 million total was the auction house's highest tally since November 2010.
According to Bloomberg, many stylish young people were in attendance, including Leonardo DiCaprio and Christie's contemporary art specialist Loic Gouzer.
HP Elite Lounge
More from this author
- Shree Sai Spaces Creations and Wasankar Wealth man...
- Apple Shares Up More Than 2% As iPhone Announcemen...
- The Apple Store is down!
- SBI cleans up its balance sheets by writing off lo...
- Thanks to her mom, 3-year-old London Scout is Inst...
- Two former Apple and LloydsPharmacy execs have lau...
- Companies to say goodbye to a horde of identificat...
Only 1 in 10 Americans Can Pass This U.s. History Quiz
How to Pack Light for Any Trip
Ghost Vessel Crosses Ocean With This Inside
15 Most Attractive Female Billionaires
Officers Found This Dog Cowering Alone In The Everglades. ..
5 Pitfalls to Watch Out for When Working with Cloud Services