Why The 'Second Screen' Industry Is Now Ready For Prime-Time
The second screen industry has grown up around this now-established consumer habit. Social media is a big part of it. Social media helps to determine whether a piece of TV content will go viral, or flop. TV and ad executives spend a lot of time getting their second screen and
In a new report
, we take stock of how far the second screen industry has come and explain why this new TV season will confirm its importance. We look at mobile-social behavior and how it overlaps with the second screen trend, and reveal the data behind consumer shopping on
Here are some highlights from our new report on the second screen trend :
- In the first quarter of 2013, 46% of U.S. smartphone owners and 40% of tablet owners said they used their devices while watching TV on a daily basis. Nine months earlier, only 39% of smartphone owners had reported doing so .
But are these mobile activities actually related to what's on TV? Yes, many of them are. Fifty-three percent of consumers with
tabletsor smartphones have engaged in mobile-based activity related to what they're watching on TV , according to an early 2013 NPD survey.
- Buying products being advertised has become a surprisingly popular activity. Twenty percent of second screen audiences on tablets and 13% of those on smartphones reported doing so, according to Nielsen.
- Show-themed and second screen apps that ask audiences to open an app during shows and sync to TV in order to deliver content tie-ins will not be the big winners - they're asking too much of audiences. Second screen will be about encouraging activity that's more natural, like commenting about a show on social media.
- The volume of TV-related social media comments in the U.S. surged 363% over the course of 2012.
- Broadly speaking, dedicated second screen apps that have built platforms around second screen activity seem to be trying different models in order to see what sticks. Overall, they've seen decent growth in audience size, but not dramatic growth. And lately it has looked flat.
- A wave of consolidation will wash through the second screen ecosystem this year as big tech players wake up to its importance and its unique place bridging the digital-TV divide.
The full report provides in-depth analysis and detailed data on these trends , including a dozen charts with underlying data sets that subscribers can download and use in spreadsheet format.
More from this author
- The Future of Mobile Marketing
- Shree Sai Spaces Creations and Wasankar Wealth man...
- The 30 most powerful women in mobile advertising
- Britain's second biggest online retailer is puttin...
- The Year To Be: A Sneak Peek Into Mobile Advertisi...
- 60% of Indians find mobile advertising annoying an...
- CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: Who are the most powerful wo...