See the resume that helped a college student land internship offers from Google, Facebook, Apple, and Goldman Sachs
What do recruiters see when they look at your resume?
As Business Insider previously reported , eye-tracking technology indicates that recruiters spend only six seconds making their initial judgment.
So you want to make sure you get it right.
Jessica Pointing, a Harvard junior who won internship offers from companies like Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, McKinsey, Bain, Goldman Sachs, and Morgan Stanley, previously told Business Insider how to make your resume error-free and all-around stellar .
Here are some of her ideas for how to take your resume to the next level.
- Be specific: "Include how you impacted the company or organization you worked for," Pointing says. "This is important because many people only describe their past jobs. What's more important is demonstrating how you contributed to that job."
- Throw around numbers: "It's important to quantify your achievements when possible," she says. "For example, if you saved the company $10,000, include that number instead of saying, 'I was an exceptional employee.' Including something tangible, concrete, and quantifiable really helps."
- Use action verbs : "For example, instead of saying 'I made a new program that increased conversion rate,' you should say 'Initiated a new program that increased conversation rate by 20%,'" Pointing says.
Pointing, who posts career advice on her website, the Optimize Guide , shared her own resume with Business Insider. Here's a generalized version of her CV that impressed some of the biggest companies in tech, finance, and consulting.
If you're looking for some more resume tips, check out:
- How to make your resume stand out, according to a Harvard student who received internship offers from Microsoft and Goldman Sachs
- A career expert says this is one of the biggest resume mistakes young people make
- I asked an expert to look at my resume - here are the 9 mistakes she found
- 16 famous people who surprisingly started their ca...
- Careers Australia collapses, leaving thousands of ...
- Kevin Durant and LeBron James have had remarkably ...
- How family-friendly policies can hurt women's care...
- The 'On-Demand Economy' Is Reshaping Companies And...
- The 20 college majors that lead to the most satisf...
- The 20 College Majors That Lead To The Most Satisf...