11 mind-blowing facts about Canada's economy
Julian Finney/Getty Images
- Canada may have more petroleum reserves than the Middle East.
- The nation's enormous coastline - the longest in the world - contributes to its role as one of the top seafood producers.
- Canadian healthcare is about half the cost-per-capita of the US.
- And that's just a sampling. Here are 11 surprising facts about Canada's economy.
- Visit MarketsInsider.com for more stories.
Canada was colonized by Europeans including the French and British as early as the late 15th century and was founded as the modern nation of Canada in 1867.It's a prosperous country that can claim the 10th-largest GDP in the world, fueled in part by its vast natural resources, sizable manufacturing base, and vibrant seafood industry.Advertisement
Today, Canada is the only major nation in the western hemisphere with a parliamentary system of government (aside from a few Caribbean island nations), which it borrowed from the United Kingdom. The country is divided into 10 provinces, with 75 percent of the population concentrated in just Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia.
The nation has managed to thrive thanks to a friendly neighbor to the south that shares military and defense interests, not to mention healthy trade and tourism. And Canada can claim one of the highest standards of living in the world.Here are 11 surprising facts about Canada's economy:
Canadian citizens have the second highest quality of life in the world
75% of all Canadian exports land in the USAdvertisement
Canada has $33.2 trillion in natural resources
Canada’s oil reserves may exceed those of the Middle EastAdvertisement
Canadians are the biggest consumer of Kraft Mac and Cheese in the world, and they eat 55% more of it than Americans do a year
Canada, with its world-leading 125,567-mile coastline, makes $4 billion a year off seafoodAdvertisement
Canada produces 71% of all the maple syrup in the world
Being bilingual costs Canada about $2.4 billion per yearAdvertisement
Canadians pay half for healthcare compared to Americans
Lower Canadian drug prices contributed to dangerous shortages of EpiPensAdvertisement
Retail goods often cost more in Canada just because Canadians are willing to pay more
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine
- J&J Covid vaccine produces strong immune response in early trials
- PM Modi at UNGA: 'How long will India be kept out of decision-making structures of UN'
- China says WHO gave support for Covid vaccine emergency use
- WHO warns death toll may hit 2mn even with vaccine