What is BIMSTEC, Who are the members of BIMSTEC summit?
AdvertisementWhat is the
The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional organisation that comprises of seven member states adjacent to the Bay of Bengal.The BIMSTEC region consists of 22% of the global population with a combined GDP of 2.7 trillion economy.
When was BIMSTEC established?
BIMSTEC came into existence on June 6, 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration. It is located in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Who are the members of BIMSTEC summit?
It constitutes seven member states: five deriving from South Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and two from Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand.
What is the prime objective of BIMSTEC?
BIMSTEC was established to develop technological and economic cooperation in the Southeast Asian countries along the coast of the Bay of Bengal. It also establishes relationship among SAARC and SEAN members.
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- Supreme Court refuses to entertain urgent plea against ₹2,000 note withdrawal
- India’s May manufacturing reading shows quickest expansion rate in 12 years
- Sensex, Nifty50 trade in the green amidst volatility: Coal India, Airtel, Maruti Suzuki amongst top losers
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue