What is BIMSTEC, Who are the members of BIMSTEC summit?
AdvertisementWhat is the
The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional organisation that comprises of seven member states adjacent to the Bay of Bengal.The BIMSTEC region consists of 22% of the global population with a combined GDP of 2.7 trillion economy.
When was BIMSTEC established?
BIMSTEC came into existence on June 6, 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration. It is located in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Who are the members of BIMSTEC summit?
It constitutes seven member states: five deriving from South Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and two from Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand.
What is the prime objective of BIMSTEC?
BIMSTEC was established to develop technological and economic cooperation in the Southeast Asian countries along the coast of the Bay of Bengal. It also establishes relationship among SAARC and SEAN members.
Popular on BI
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months