Crypto adoption in Africa has surged 1,200% over the last year, as people in some of the fastest-growing crypto economies favor digital coins to avoid bank and exchange restrictions: Chainalysis
- Adoption of
cryptoin Africahas surged 1,200% in the last year, according to Chainalysis.
- Users have opted for peer-to-peer platforms like Paxful and Remitano over exchanges.
- Binance's clients in Africa have opted for peer-to-peer platforms amid bans on the exchange.
Africa's digital-asset market has grown over 1,200% by value over the last year, making it the third-fastest growing
This is no surprise as Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, and Tanzania all ranked in the top 20 of the 2021 Global Crypto Adoption Index. Chainalysis also said Africa also has a bigger share of its overall transaction volume made up of retail-sized transfers than any other region at just over 7%, versus the global average of 5.5%.
Users have moved away from exchanges like
Binance has been banned and blocked in several countries around the world and South Africa issued a warning to the exchange in September and said it was not authorised to operate in the country.
"P2P platforms are especially popular in Africa compared to other regions, and many African cryptocurrency users rely on P2P platforms not just as an on-ramp into cryptocurrency, but also for remittances and even commercial transactions," Chainalysis said in their blog
Cross-region transfers make up 96% of Africa's cryptocurrency market, but they only account for 78% of all other regions combined. People in Africa have been opting to send remittances using crypto because of the high cost of sending money abroad.
Chainalysis's research also showed
On top of that, Nigerian banks don't allow customers to send more than $500 out of the country at a time.
"If the government is strictly limiting the amount of money people can send abroad, they'll get creative and turn to cryptocurrency," Artur Schaback, COO and cofounder of popular P2P exchange Paxful said.
He said his company's platform saw 57% growth in Nigeria over the last year and 300% growth in Kenya.
"In many of these frontier
- Female African elephants evolved toward being tuskless over just a few decades as poachers sought ivory
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Federal Bank is offering internships for fresh graduates — Check out stipend, incentives and other details
- Best smartphones with 90Hz display under ₹20,000 in India
- Best 2.1 channel soundbars in India
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best multi-pin charging cables in India
- India vs Pakistan at T20 World Cup — Where to watch the match