Here are the 5 biggest winners and losers of earnings season
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
- Third-quarter earnings seasons is almost wrapped up, with the vast majority of S&P 500 companies have reported as of the beginning of November, according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
- Earnings results are pointing to an overall 2% bottom-line beat for quarter, BAML's analysts wrote in note to clients on November 3.
- Here are five of the biggest winners and losers from the third-quarter earnings season.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
With earnings season winding down, Markets Insider took a look at some of biggest winners and losers from the third quarter now that the vast majority of companies have reported.According to analysts from Bank of America Merrill Lynch, overall S&P 500 earnings will come in about 2% above estimates. Advertisement
"While still below peak levels, corporate margins have remained resilient despite tariffs and wage inflation," the firm wrote in a note to clients on November 3.
Investors and analysts have likely been looking for signs of a slowing economy in the form of pressured earnings as uncertainty around the US-China trade war and global growth concerns persisted throughout the quarter.UBS expects an earnings recession could be on the horizon amid a cloudy macroeconomic backdrop. The firm wrote in a note to clients on Tuesday that the year-over-year growth rate for S&P 500 forward earnings has fallen to less than 1%, from 23% about 14 months ago.
Markets Insider compiled a list of companies that posted strong single-day share gains following their earning's releases, in addition to stocks that plunged after disappointing results.Here are five of the biggest winners and losers from the third-quarter earnings season. Each group is listed in increasing order of single-day stock move:
Winner #5: Netflix
Winner #4: Kraft HeinzAdvertisement
Winner #3: General Electric
Winner #2: SpotifyAdvertisement
Winner #1: Tesla
Loser #5: McDonald'sAdvertisement
Loser #4: Uber
Loser #3: Shake ShackAdvertisement
Loser #2: Pinterest
Loser #1: GrubHubAdvertisement
- 20 DMRC staff have tested positive for COVID-19 till date: Sources
- COVID-positive man dies, daughter says 'not admitted' in time by Delhi hospital
- Four more COVID-19 cases in HP's Hamirpur, ten recover
- COVID-19 cases cross 2,000-mark in Assam
- 13 Indians among 517 new coronavirus cases reported in Singapore