Train accident injures 38 passengers in Chennai
At least 38
According to police and railway officials, the mishap occurred around 2 a.m. when the coaches of Chennai-Mangalore Express derailed at Puvanur in Vriddhachalam.
The injured have been taken to nearby hospitals, official said, adding that the train services on the busy route were disrupted for a few hours.
However, trains were later operated on alternative route but they were running late.
The Friday's accident is the third one in about a month. The mishap once again put the spotlight on railway safety.
On August 4, more than 35 people died and 25 were injured when two trains derailed in Madhya Pradesh.
Five people, including a Karnataka MLA were killed on August 24 when a granite-laden truck rammed into an express train at a level crossing in Andhra Pradesh.
- Modi, Biden, Morrison, and Suga may meet for the first-ever QUAD leaders’ summit this month
- Rs 350 cr in state budget for development of Gairsain capital region: U'khand CM
- Mamata Banerjee releases TMC's candidate list for Bengal elections
- TV prices to rise by ₹3,000 from April 1, 2021
- Supreme Court challenges India's new rules for governing Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and other OTTs — no 'appropriate action' listed against those who violate regulations