10 things you need to know before the opening bell
ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP/Getty Images
Here is what you need to know.
- Lauren Sanchez's brother is the one who gave The National Enquirer Jeff Bezos's private texts, report claims. Michael Sanchez had previously emerged as a suspect in the leaks.
- Another government shutdown is looking increasingly likely. Ongoing border security talks in Congress stalled on Saturday, according to lawmakers, aides, and the acting White House Chief of Staff.
- Ex-Facebook security boss Alex Stamos says the company is like 'Game of Thrones' at the highest levels of leadership. The leadership team can be reluctant to admit fault, he said, because of how long most of its top leaders have been at the company.
- There's now clear proof the threat of no deal Brexit is hurting the UK economy. The British economy grew just 0.2% in the final quarter of 2018, as businesses continued to stifle investment against a background of Brexit-related uncertainty.
- The Fed may have sparked the latest stock rally, but one expert says it's actually planting the seeds for the next market crash. A market bear lays out why current conditions remind him of the environment right before the last two market crashes.
- 2 notorious recession signals are descending into the danger zone. They have some Wall Street strategists convinced that a meltdown is fast approaching.
- Central banks are buying the most gold since the end of the Second World War. The near record build up in government debt globally, particularly in the US, makes other perceived risk-free assets less attractive.
- Stock markets around the world are mixed. The Nikkei slipped 2%, while the Hang Seng rose 0.7%. In Europe, the Euro Stoxx 50 climbed 1%. US futures pointed higher before the open.
- There are a good number of corporate earnings reports. Loews Corp., Molina Healthcare, and Aurora Cannabis are among the companies set to report.
- It's a slow day for economic data. A revision to the Consumer Price Index will be released on Monday.