13 hobbies that look great on your resume - and one that doesn't
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
But in some situations, they can actually add value to your résumé and help you stand out in a good way.
If you're looking for an internship at a company like Google, for example, one previous intern says hiring managers want to see interesting personal details on your résumé. "This is your time to shine and share some of the quirkier aspects of your personality that other, more traditional companies may not appreciate," she writes. The key, as with all résumés you send out, is to know and target your audience.
Companies may also appreciate seeing a hobby on your résumé if it's related to the job you're pursuing, Ana Recio, senior vice president of Global Recruiting at Salesforce, tells Business Insider.
And if there's a chance your hobby makes you stand out as the more attractive candidate, you'd be wise to include it, Alyssa Gelbard, the founder and president of the career consulting and personal-branding firm Résumé Strategists, tells Business Insider.
"When a potential employer sees a candidate's hobbies, it provides insight into personality traits, industry knowledge, and can make you more attractive for a role," she says.
"But remember: Anything you include on your résumé is fair game during an interview, so make sure you can really talk about your passion for the hobby and why you included it on résumé," Gelbard says.
Here are 13 hobbies you should consider including on your résumé, as well as one you definitely shouldn't:
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Telegram wants to allow users to store and trade cryptocurrencies
- Rupee gains 18 paise to 81.08 against US dollar
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- 234-year-old company EID Parry is only a tad more valuable than year-old unicorn GlobalBees
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022