18 Surprising Things That Affect Whether You Get Hired
Hiring managers typically use your résumé to determine whether you're qualified for the job, and the interview to decide if you're the perfect fit.
Knowing that, most people take the process very seriously. They arrive to the interview on time, dress impeccably, and answer each question intelligently.
But as it turns out, there's more to it than just showing up and doing your best - there are dozens of small details that overtly or subconsciously affect the way you're perceived.
1. The time of your interview.
2. The weather on the day of your interview.
3. How early you arrive.
4. Whether your rival also interviews on the same day.
5. Whether you feel powerful.
6. What you do while waiting in the lobby.
7. How you treat the receptionist or the driver.
8. Your handshake.
9. If you accept the offered coffee.
10. Whether you're a little narcissistic.
11. The color of your clothing.
12. Whether you glance at your watch or cell phone.
13. Sitting before you're asked to
14. Tailoring your answers based on the interviewer's age.
15. The way you make eye contact in a panel interview.
16. Your posture.
17. What you do with your hands.
18. The questions you ask.
Now read about the biggest résumé mistakes: