9 unexpected Mother's Day gifts that are exceptionally useful
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Due to the lack of free time, sleep, and requirements of baby proofing, moms with young kids often can't enjoy gifts traditionally associated with Mother's Day like candles and flowers.
- As a husband to a mom, I've learned that gifts that can help a mom navigate busy days with ease and comfort can bring more pleasure than gifts that call for a break in the routine.
- And since young kids tend to be ever present, items that are safe to have around the house make great gifts too because they don't add to what a parent already worries about.
The lack of me-time, constant fatigue that comes with 24/7 parenting, and destructive and demanding nature of little kids render many potential gifts poor choices. The open flame of a candle isn't a wise idea around a preschooler, that vase of thorny roses is almost sure to be upset by a toddler, and no mom wants to wake up with even the mildest hangover when there's a baby to care for, so that bottle of G.H. Mumm Champagne might be more of a tease than a nightcap this year.
So what to give a mom caring for young kids this Mother's Day? In short, anything that will make her life easier. Anything that provides added comfort, efficiency, or removes a challenge presented by childcare will be a welcome gift. And if you can gift an evening of babysitting and an appointment for a massage, she'll definitely appreciate that too.This list was actually inspired by gifts I've given my wife in the past six years (we have a five- and one- year-old) that were actual hits. While I've used these ideas for a couple of Mother's Days as well as birthdays, holidays, and so on, every one of them was a hit precisely because it made her life as a parent that much easier and more enjoyable - and because all of them are kid-safe, too.
Also, it goes without saying that chocolate is a requisite for all occasions - or no occasion at all.Read on to find the best Mother's Day gifts for moms with young kids: Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Advertisement
A super compact strollerAdvertisement
An easy-to-wear dress
A DIY garden setAdvertisement
A cookbook for healthy mealsAdvertisement
A food processor
- Highest single-day spike of 396 COVID-19 cases in Bengal; 10 more die of disease
- Assam: 3 arrested in looting, poaching cases
- District judge of Rohini court tests positive for COVID-19
- 8 nurses working at pvt hospital in Delhi test positive for COVID-19
- Six more test positive for COVID-19 in Arunachal