A 20-year-old from the Netherlands just set a new Rubik's Cube world record of 4.74 seconds
Rubik's Cube mastermind Mats Valk set a new world record over the weekend at the Jawa Timur Open in Indonesia.
Valk, 20, managed to break the existing record of 4.90 seconds, set last year by 14-year-old Lucas Etter, with a blistering time of 4.74 seconds.
Valk spent more time examining the cube than he spent actually moving things around.
Here's Valk's winning solve in action.
The Rubik's Cube world record has fallen precipitously since the first record was set in 1982, at a glacial time of 22.95 seconds. As FiveThirtyEight reported last year, Etter's 2015 time of 4.90 seconds put him in the lonely position of being the only sub-5.o0 time in Rubik's Cube history.
Now Etter has some company in Valk.
The method of puzzle-solving these guys compete in is known (fittingly) as "speed-cubing." They have such an intimate understanding of the algorithms that lead to a solved cube that just a quick glance at the starting position gives them all the information they need. All that stands in their way is how well they've oiled the gears of the cube itself.
Here's Valk's solve in all its glory:
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World