Everyone Is Baffled By Alan Greenspan's Comment About Bitcoin
Regan got right to the point: "Is Bitcoin a bubble?" Regan asked.
"I guess so," Greenspan said, adding, "You really have to stretch your imagination to infer what the intrinsic value of Bitcoin is. I haven't been able to do it. But if you ask me, 'Is this a bubble in Bitcoin?' 'Yeah, it's a bubble."
People are baffled by this remark.
That's because Greenspan refused to call the housing bubble a bubble, and presided over the dot-com bubble despite seemingly having recognized it as such as far back as 1996, when he made his "irrational exuberance" speech.
Here's a smattering of the reaction from Twitter:
GREENSPAN CALLS BITCOIN A BUBBLE ASSURING ITS RISE TO $10,000- Timothy Connolly CFA (@SconsetCapital) December 4, 2013
I would MUCH RATHER hear Greenspan call Bitcoin a bubble than not. He's never recognized a REAL BUBBLE of his own making (Y2K, housing, etc)- Cody Willard (@codywillard) December 4, 2013
Funny, I think RT @zerohedge: GREENSPAN SAYS OF BITCOIN: `IT'S A BUBBLE'. sigh- Brian Posner (@FrontOfTheHerd) December 4, 2013
Oy vey! Greenspan talks bitcoins, bubbles and bloomberg! (fine alliteration) http://t.co/pTXBr67B15 VT6fx8yBTOOQIAFlrraqDQ.html- Douglas Kass (@DougKass) December 4, 2013
Maybe Greenspan got religion since stepping down from the Fed in 2006. But of all the things to now call a bubble, when the evidence is mounting that it's not necessarily so: Bitcoin?
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani