Here's our first look at Mercedes' new $2.7 million hypercar
- The Mercedes-AMG Project One is a new hybrid hypercar.
- It's powered by a Formula One-based 1,000 horsepower drive unit.
- Mercedes-AMG will build 275 cars at $2.72 million per car.
On Monday, Mercedes-AMG unveiled its long-awaited Project One hybrid hypercar concept ahead of the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show.
The Project One is packed with technology from the company's back to back to back World Championship-winning Formula One team.
"Motorsport is not an end in itself for us. Faced with intense competition, we develop technologies from which our production vehicles also subsequently benefit," Mercedes-Benz chairman Dr. Dieter Zetsche said in a statement.
"We are drawing on our experiences and successes from three constructors' and drivers' world championships to bring Formula 1 technology to the road for the first time: in Mercedes-AMG Project ONE."
The system consists of a 1.6 liter, turbocharged V6 engine with an atmospheric red line of 11,000 RPMs. The engine's crankshaft is attached to an electric motor that can virtually eliminate turbo lag while generating electricity by harnessing the engine's kinetic energy. In Formula One circles, this electric motor is called the Motor Generator Unit Kinetic or MGU-K. The engine and MGU-K duo drive the rear wheels while producing more than 670 horsepower.
Additionally, Mercedes installed two electric motors, each producing more than 161 horsepower, on the front axle of the Project One, thereby giving it a virtual all-wheel-drive system with true torque-vectoring capabilities.
That's right, the Project One has one engine and four electric motors.
And the performance figures are staggering. Mercedes-AMG declined to release a 0-60 mph acceleration time. However, the company claims the Project One can reach 124 mph in less than six seconds and reach a top speed of more than 217 mph.
With a full lithium-ion battery pack, the Project One has an all-electric range of 25 miles.
Sadly, if haven't ordered one, you are already too late. All 275 production Mercedes-AMG Project Ones have been spoken for.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- Putin signs unification treaties for new regions
- Meta shuts Bulletin newsletter, refocuses on algorithm to take on TikTok
- Biden sends letter to Yoon expressing willingness for talks on IRA
- India reports 2,468 fresh Covid cases, 17 deaths
- TRS meeting underway to convert itself into national party
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World