Russia's Takeover Of Crimea In Two Graphics
Russia has invaded the Ukrainian peninsula of Crimea and and is in the process of solidifying control of the isolated Black Sea region.
Only eight days ago, Ukraine's parliament deposed President Viktor Yanukovych after protesters in Kiev rejected a truce that would have kept the Kremlin ally in power.Since then, trained armed pro-Russian gunman and Russian troops have taken over the strategic ports, roadways, and airspace. They have also surrounded a Ukrainian barracks and are urging the soldiers there to disarm and pledge allegiance to the peninsula's pro-Moscow regional authorities.
This Agence-France Presse graphic sums up how quickly Russia took over Crimea:
What happens next is crucial: Ukraine's troops are mobilizing, Russia continues to send troops into the peninsula, and Russian flags are reportedly being raised in eastern Ukrainian cities.
- UP to have cold chain space for 1.23L litres of vaccine
- Wuhan authorities now find Covid-19 on imported frozen food
- From WhiteHat Jr, Big Basket, and Unacademy to Dunzo — these are the Indian startups that reported data leaks over the past few months
- Chennai volunteer for SII's Covid vaccine claims Rs 5 cr compensation for health complications
- ASEAN distances from China's Covid vaccine diplomacy