Steven Wynn Is Suing Jim Chanos For Alleged Slander
Wynn's lawsuit accuses Chanos of slander "over an alleged statement that Wynn violated a US anti-bribery law."
The suit alleges that on or about April 25, Chanos told guests at an invitation only event in Berkley, California that Wynn and his Las Vegas-based resorts had violated the federal Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
You can see video of the event here. Chanos starts speaking around 4:00 and again around 36:00.
In his lawsuit, Wynn also adds that gaming regulators in Nevada and Massachusetts, the SEC, and other government agencies have "thoroughly investigated" both him and his resorts. An no one found and reliable evidence of a FCPA violation.
Wynn is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.
Jim Chanos is a Wall Street stalwart, and founded his short-only firm Kynikos (Greek for 'cynic') back in 1980s. One of his more famous moves was shorting Enron, several months before its bankruptcy.
He's recently been arguing that China's economy is overheated "due to its dependence on property development for growth."
And on May 15, Chanos told CNBC that he would "no longer be long on the Macau casino."
Macau happens to be the only place in China where casinos are legal, and revenues have been down in June (by 3.7%), July (by 3.6%), and August (a far worse 6%).
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World