The best clarifying shampoos you can buy
- Clarifying shampoo can help strip gunk that tends to build up over time from hair styling products, hard water, chlorine, and more.
- Drybar On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo stands out for its deep cleaning thanks to activated charcoal, and it's suitable for many hair types.
From daily or frequent shampooing to finding the right conditioner and styling products, hair care can feel downright overwhelming. The unexpected casualty is that over time, products can build up and make hair feel flat, dull and even look greasy.
If you're not yet familiar with clarifying shampoo, Harper's Bazaar calls it shampoo on steroids. It cuts through residue from hair-styling products, you hair's natural oils, and general buildup better than your regular shampoo, leaving your hair feel extra clean and fresh when you're done. However, because it can strip away natural oils, you'd want to use clarifying shampoo sparingly.
When it comes to regular shampoo, you probably have a favorite already after years of trial and error. Fortunately, clarifying shampoo is designed for a specific purpose, so you'll spend less time researching the best. And with this guide, you'll spend even less time agonizing over which one to buy.
Here is the best clarifying shampoos you can buy:
- Best overall: Drybar On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo
- Best for all hair types: Redken Clean Maniac Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo
- Best for curly hair: Ouidad Water Works Clarifying Shampoo
- Best for daily use: Hask Charcoal Clarifying Shampoo
- Best for swimmers: Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo Three
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.