Venezuelan Inmates Reportedly Open A Nightclub Inside Prison
The late-night party highlighted the plight of the crime-ridden country's overcrowded penal system, where criminals often use bribery and intimidation to exercise virtual control over the facilities built to incarcerate them.The so-called "Yacht Club" at a
It quoted sources in the Ministry of Corrections -- which has not yet commented publicly on the incident -- as saying the party lasted from Thursday night until the early morning hours on Friday.
A non-governmental agency, the Venezuelan Prison Observatory, estimates the country's jails house 48,000 prisoners, nearly three times the official capacity of around 16,500.
- PM Narendra Modi stresses that lockdown will be the last option, says centre and states are working on oxygen supply
- Desperately need supply of oxygen to save lives, appeals Delhi's Ganga Ram Hospital
- 4.6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine were wasted in India — enough to vaccinate half of Bangalore
- Facebook to start pilot runs for its digital currency ‘Diem’ this year, says report
- SaaS startup Chargebee is the 11th unicorn of 2021 and the sixth for Tiger Global this year alone