We Asked Executives About The Internet Of Things And Their Answers Reveal That Security Remains A Huge Concern
Concerns over security remain a big barrier to more widespread business adoption of the Internet of Things, according to a new BI Intelligence survey of technology executives.
The IoT will bring the internet to many formerly unconnected home appliances, office or warehouse equipment, and factory machines (e.g., sensors that will ping managers if there's something wrong with a factory line.)
We found security to be one of the most consistent concerns, even as companies begin to implement IoT-based systems:
- Privacy and security are the most significant barriers to IoT investment. This option was chosen by 39% of our survey respondents, well ahead of questionable ROI (27%) and lack of a use case (16%). (See chart, above). The fewest number of respondents said price would be a barrier to IoT adoption.
- All the same, adoption of the IoT is already significant. Over half of the executives (62%) said they had already adopted IoT-based systems or had plans to do so. A minority said the IoT was too new to invest in for now (24%) or that they had no plans to invest in it (12%).
View all Offers
- 50% OFF
Allen Solly Women's Synthetic Sweatshirt (AHSTCRGFS56736_Black_Small)₹ 1499₹ 1499Buy On
- 75% OFF
Red Tape Men's Cotton Round Neck Sweatshirt (RWS0206_Mint Green_L)₹ 775₹ 3099Buy On
- 79% OFF
Yash Gallery Women's Plus Size Cotton Gold Print Anarkali Kurta (Blue)₹ 839₹ 3499Buy On
- 46% OFF
Levi's Navy Orange Graphic Printed Sweatshirt₹ 1077₹ 1999Buy On
- 70% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Women's Parka Coat (17430Q_Peach_Medium)₹ 2499₹ 2499Buy On
Coupling this with past articles and reports, we found that the answers reflected the tenor of the general enterprise attitude toward the IoT: optimism tinged with some trepidation.
These findings reflect growing concerns over whether the IoT will expose large businesses to more disruptive and costly hacks. An earlier survey from the Harvard Business Review found that 46% of IoT early adopters faced obstacles with privacy and security compliance.
For full access to all BI Intelligence reports, briefs, and downloadable charts on the Internet of Things and mobile computing markets, e-commerce and internet services, sign up for a risk-free trial membership.
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Top deals on recliners, sofas and more home furnishing items
- Best fashion and beauty deals during Amazon sale
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale — Best audio deals on headphones, speakers
- GST on salaries? A new ruling can cause a lot of confusion and litigation
- Nykaa's rival Purplle raises $38 million from Pantaloon’s CEO, Sequoia
- Mythology audiobooks
- Electric car Championship
- India's win in Centurion
- Millionaires Employees
- Car with Waiting Period
- Tax Saving Investment
- Urban Company
- New Year 2022
- Upcoming new laptops
- Bank Holidays in January
- Valuable NFT Projects
- Xiaomi 11i hypercharge
- GST Input tax credit
- Public Holidays in 2022
- RBL Stocks
- Upcoming Smartphones in 2022