We drove a $38,000 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid for a week and discovered its best features
- Subaru's much loved Crosstrek crossover is now available as a plug-in hybrid.
- The Crosstrek is an entry-point into Subaru's formidable lineup of crossovers and SUV that now includes the Forester, the Outback wagon, and seven-passenger Ascent.
- The base 2019 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i starts at $22,895 while the 2.0i Premium trim adds $1,000 to the price tag. The more luxurious 2.0i Limited trim starts at $27,195 while the top-of-the-line Hybrid starts at $34,995. Including options and fees, our Crosstrek Hybrid came with an as-tested price of $38,470
- We were impressed by our Crosstrek Hybrid test car's fuel economy, standard safety features, and more perky acceleration. However, the Hybrid was held back by its steep price tag and limited cargo space.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Since its debut in 2013, the Subaru Crosstrek has developed into somewhat of a cult favorite for those in the market for a no-nonsense, fuel efficient, all-wheel-drive crossover.
With a starting price of just under $22,000, the Crosstrek is an entry-point into Subaru's lineup of crossover SUVs that now includes the Forester, the Outback wagon, and seven-passenger Ascent.In 2018, Subaru rolled out a new second-generation variant of the Crosstrek. A year later, the Japanese automaker followed up with a plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek for the 2019 model year- the first vehicle of its kind in Subaru history.
Recently, Business Insider had the chance to spend a week with a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid clad in a brilliant Lagoon Blue Pearl paint job.
In our review, we noted the more hybrid's more enthusiastic driving dynamics and great efficiency while lamenting high asking price and the loss in cargo space due to the placement of the battery pack behind the rear seats.
"The Subaru Crosstrek is a really likable and capable little crossover," we said in the review. "With the addition of the hybrid drive system, the Crosstrek is now more efficient and significantly more peppy to drive."
Including options and fees, our Crosstrek Hybrid came with an as-tested price of $38,470.
Here's a closer look at its coolest features: