World's biggest online sale bags a whopping $14 billion
Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba announced that it has netted a whopping $14 billion in the world's biggest online shopping festival, the November 11 ‘Singles Day’. The $14.3 billion figure is way above last year's revenue figures of $9.3 billion.
"This day demonstrates the power of domestic China consumption and the Chinese consumer's strong demand for international products", Alibaba CEO Daniel Zhang said.
Alibaba's NYSE stocks slipped 1.94% to$79.85 on Wednesday despite the sale’s popularity. However, on the brighter side October’s retail sales jumped 11% from last year’s figure, the fastest since December last year.
Alibaba's online payment gateway, Alipay, processed over 710 million transactions during the sale. Over 95 million online shoppers were using the mobile platform.
Image credit: Indiatimes
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart
- 30 COVID vaccine candidates being developed: Health Ministry