A woman received an invoice for her meal when she ghosted someone after a first date - here's an etiquette expert's take on the situation
- After she ghosted a date, Amanda Burnett received a $40 invoice for her half of a dinner.
- According to an etiquette expert, it's customary for the person who asked for the date to pay, but some people prefer to split the bill.
- If you offered to pay, it's decidedly not polite to send a bill after-the-fact.
When you go on a date, there's always a chance that it won't be a romantic fit. It certainly feels lousy if you like someone and want the relationship to progress, but they don't feel the same way … and it can be even more hurtful if you reach out and get ghosted.
But does that mean it's OK to send an invoice after the date?
It happened to Amanda Burnett, an Indiana woman who went on a dinner date and later received an itemized invoice of everything she ate and drank during the date, the Daily Mail reports.
Burnett shared the invoice on Twitter and, although the original tweet has been deleted, a screenshot of her caption said: "A guy just mailed me a bill for our dinner a few weeks ago because I didn't text him back … I can't make this s**t up."
Her date didn't stop there - he also sent a text that said, "And to avoid additional penalty or fines have the invoice paid otherwise it will be turned into a collection agency," according to a screenshot published by Daily Mail.
The specifics of the situation, like whether Burnett offered to pay but her date declined, and who asked whom for the date, are unclear. But Business Insider reached out to Daniel Post Senning, great-great-grandson of etiquette expert Emily Post and spokesperson for The Emily Post Institute, to get his take on whether billing your date for their meal is acceptable.
1. It is customary that the person who asked for the date pays for it
2. It's definitely not customary to send an invoice after you've agreed to pay
3. There is no obligation to respond to someone's texts or calls after a date — but it's the polite thing to do
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons