Centre hikes import duty on platinum to 15.4%
- Platinum and
palladiumfor use in manufacture of precious metal chemicals, compounds.
- As per reports some bullion importers are importing refined gold disguised as
- Gold attracts 15 % import duty, as opposed to platinum alloy that invites a duty of 10.75 %.
Import duty on platinum has been increased to a total of 15.4 % with effect from Monday through a notification by the Finance Ministry.
Platinum and palladium for use in manufacture of precious metal chemicals, compounds (noble metal compounds and solutions) and catalytic converters will continue at basic customs duty of 7.5 % subject to IGCR.
It is being presumed that the increase in duty on platinum is to plug a loophole which is helping bullion importers to make record profits.
As per reports some bullion importers are importing refined gold disguised as platinum alloy.
Gold attracts 15 % import duty, as opposed to platinum alloy that invites a duty of 10.75 % which observers say is a case of misdeclaration and duty violation.
There were reports that the customs had cleared consignments since the loophole in the notification have not clearly defined alloys of precious metals. The consignments of platinum alloy contained 96 % gold and some importers are importing refined gold under the guise of platinum alloy and making bullion bars.
SEE ALSO: This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
Next repo rate hike expected to be 35 basis points to 6.25%: Kotak report
Neobanking platform Vance raises $5.8 million in seed round led by Hummingbird Ventures
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says