Tesla made a big leap in one of the car industry's most important rankings
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
- Tesla placed 11 out of 33 in Consumer Reports' 2020 automotive-brand ranking, rising eight spots from 2019.
- Consumer Reports said the jump resulted from the improved reliability of the Model S and Model 3 sedans.
- The consumer-advocacy organization named the Model 3 one of its 10 "top picks" for 2020.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Tesla's performance on Consumer Reports' brand ranking improved more than any other automaker's and was the best of any American brand. Consumer Reports attributed the jump to the increasing reliability of the Model S and Model 3, the latter of which was named one of the organization's 10 "top picks" for this year. Both vehicles have received recommendations from Consumer Reports, though Tesla's Model X SUV, which was named one of the 10 least-reliable vehicles last year, has not.
Tesla's improving performance on Consumer Reports' list suggests the electric-car maker is beginning to pair its innovative technology and highly-regarded engineering with a more stable manufacturing system. Reports of quality issues have dogged Tesla for years, but a recent Bloomberg survey of Model 3 owners indicated that production quality has improved.Porsche placed first in Consumer Reports' 2020 auto-brand ranking, followed by Genesis and Subaru. Fiat finished last, preceded by Mitsubishi and Jeep.
Are you a current or former Tesla employee? Do you have an opinion about what it's like to work there? Contact this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach out on Signal at 646-768-4712 or email this reporter's encrypted address at email@example.com.
- Read more:
- How Tesla's Model 3 Compares to Volkswagen's New EV
- Tesla's next Gigafactory is back on track after a German court threw out an environmental challenge
- Elon Musk's car collection has evolved over the years, from the million-dollar McLaren F1 he destroyed to a James Bond movie prop Lotus
- Tesla's vehicle designs have held up well over the years, but they aren't all great - here's a ranking, from best to worst