Dogecoin trading volumes shot up 1,250% in the 2nd quarter to almost $1 billion a day as big exchanges cashed in
Dogecointrading volumes shot up 1,250% to close to $1 billion in the second quarter, data shows.
- Overall global trading volumes rose 32% to $18.82 billion a day on average amid volatile
- High volatility benefits exchanges but there are signs that the
cryptocrash is weighing on volumes.
The average trading volume for dogecoin shot up to $995 million per day in the April to June period, from just $74 million a day in the first quarter, as exchanges such as Coinbase,
Coinbase's Q2 market barometer showed that ether trading volumes rose 53% quarter-on-quarter to an average of $3.25 billion a day on global exchanges. Meanwhile,
Cryptocurrency prices hit record highs in the second quarter before falling sharply as China cracked down on bitcoin "mining" and Elon Musk turned against the biggest cryptocurrency over its energy use.
Dogecoin started the year at around $0.004 but soared more than 15,000% to above $0.70 in May. It has since slid to around $0.18 on Friday. Bitcoin fell from a record high of $65,000 in April to Friday's price of around $32,000.
However, the period may still have been a profitable time for crypto exchanges, despite the plunge in prices.
Overall global trading volumes rose 32% to an average of $18.82 billion a day in the second quarter, boosted by a 44% rise in volumes in Asia to $8.98 billion a day. Coinbase's figures cover crypto-fiat trades, but not crypto-crypto trades.
Last week, Goldman Sachs analysts said in a note that "significantly elevated crypto asset volatility" could be good for Coinbase's second-quarter earnings by boosting trading volumes and fees, Coindesk first reported. Just under 90% of Coinbase's revenue came from transactions in the first quarter.
Yet, a report from CryptoCompare said trading volumes at the biggest crypto exchanges fell 43% in June as prices consolidated at a lower level and volatility dropped.
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol