Dogecoin trading volumes shot up 1,250% in the 2nd quarter to almost $1 billion a day as big exchanges cashed in
Dogecointrading volumes shot up 1,250% to close to $1 billion in the second quarter, data shows.
- Overall global trading volumes rose 32% to $18.82 billion a day on average amid volatile
- High volatility benefits exchanges but there are signs that the
cryptocrash is weighing on volumes.
The average trading volume for dogecoin shot up to $995 million per day in the April to June period, from just $74 million a day in the first quarter, as exchanges such as Coinbase,
Coinbase's Q2 market barometer showed that ether trading volumes rose 53% quarter-on-quarter to an average of $3.25 billion a day on global exchanges. Meanwhile,
Cryptocurrency prices hit record highs in the second quarter before falling sharply as China cracked down on bitcoin "mining" and Elon Musk turned against the biggest cryptocurrency over its energy use.
Dogecoin started the year at around $0.004 but soared more than 15,000% to above $0.70 in May. It has since slid to around $0.18 on Friday. Bitcoin fell from a record high of $65,000 in April to Friday's price of around $32,000.
However, the period may still have been a profitable time for crypto exchanges, despite the plunge in prices.
Overall global trading volumes rose 32% to an average of $18.82 billion a day in the second quarter, boosted by a 44% rise in volumes in Asia to $8.98 billion a day. Coinbase's figures cover crypto-fiat trades, but not crypto-crypto trades.
Last week, Goldman Sachs analysts said in a note that "significantly elevated crypto asset volatility" could be good for Coinbase's second-quarter earnings by boosting trading volumes and fees, Coindesk first reported. Just under 90% of Coinbase's revenue came from transactions in the first quarter.
Yet, a report from CryptoCompare said trading volumes at the biggest crypto exchanges fell 43% in June as prices consolidated at a lower level and volatility dropped.
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again