Hackers stole Ethereum worth $185,000 from Bill Murray after he auctioned an NFT for charity
- Hackers stole Ethereum worth $185,000 from Bill Murray on Thursday after an NFT charity auction.
- The actor was auctioning a "Beer with Bill Murray" NFT, with a hacker stealing the proceeds.
Hackers stole Ethereum worth more than $180,000 raised by Bill Murray as part of a charity auction, CoinDesk reported.
Murray was auctioning off a "Beer with Bill Murray" NFT on Wednesday. The successful bidder won a meeting with the comic actor while an artist painted the scene on canvas and to turn into a digital copy.
However, the next day the hacker made off with 119.2 Ethereum that Murray had raised for the charity. Coinbase user Brant Boersma was the successful bidder, beating six others who made a total of 60 bids.
The runner-up, Coinbase user Mishap72, sent 120 Ethereum worth about $187,000 to Chive to reimburse the charity, a representative of the marketplace told CoinDesk.
The hacker also tried to steal 800 NFTs from the Bill Murray 1,000 collection, but was protected by a wallet security team called Project Venkman, per CoinDesk.
Representatives for Murray told CoinDesk it had filed a police report and was working with Chainalysis to track down the hacker.
Murray's misfortune is the latest high-profile case of crypto hacking.
In June, Buzzfeed reported how Seth Green was forced to hand over a $260,000 ransom to a hacker that stole his Bored Ape Ethereum NFT, which was to be the main character in one of Green's upcoming shows.
Crypto heists are proving increasingly lucrative, with nearly $2 billion in digital currency stolen in the first half of this year, according to a study by Chainalysis.
- I asked Microsoft's 'new Bing' to write me a cover letter for a job. It refused, saying this would be 'unethical' and 'unfair to other applicants.'
- Microsoft's ChatGPT-powered Bing browser now available publicly
- Don't be in a hurry to prepay but plan EMIs better, say experts as home loan burden set to rise
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000