Tether cofounder William Quigley says there's no real reason for the altcoin surge except for hype
Tethercofounder William Quigleysaid there's no real reason for the recent surge in altcoins.
- Some have put it down to the boom in DeFi and
NFTs, but Quigley told Bloomberg that it's just hype. Solanahas jumped 250% over the last 30 days, while cardano's ada has become the third-biggest cryptocurrency.
The cofounder of top stablecoin Tether has said there's no fundamental basis for the surge in altcoins that has pushed up solana more than 250% in 30 days, except for hype and speculation.
Altcoins have rallied sharply over the past couple of months, with cardano's ada shooting up the
Some analysts have said that the rally is tied up in the boom in non-fungible tokens and decentralized finance. Solana, for instance, is a blockchain and token that can support NFTs and DeFi applications.
Yet on Sunday, Tether cofounder William Quigley told Bloomberg that "there's no real reason" for the surge in altcoins. Tether is a crypto stablecoin designed to track the US dollar, and it is the fourth-biggest token.
Read more: A research analyst at a $2 billion crypto firm lays out the bull case for polkadot that most investors are overlooking - and shares why cardano's ada is looking overvalued after a stellar run
Asked about the
"I've been doing this for a long time. Doing fundamental analysis on something like that is very, very hard - because there's no real reason. It becomes part of the zeitgeist. And people are excited about it, and it goes up."
Quigley's view is shared elsewhere in the market. JPMorgan's crypto expert Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou told Insider last week that the rally doesn't look sustainable, because it's driven by unrealistic expectations about the tokens.
He questioned whether there will be "enough traffic in these networks [and] wallet addresses to justify these kind of valuations."
Panigirtzoglou was responding to the idea that tokens such as solana and cardano's ada will challenge ethereum and become widely used in the world of NFTs and DeFi.
NFTs are a booming asset class of crypto collectibles and artworks, and DeFi is the use of crypto technology to remove the need for middlemen in financial contracts.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Chinese smartphone brands under scrutiny, government to check components, pre-installed apps: Report
- Best AMD desktop processors — which one to buy in India?
- Best AMD Ryzen laptops in India
- Best TVs with HDR support in India
- Bored Ape NFT sells for $2.7 million, making it the most expensive in Yacht Club collection
- Startup salaries have increased over 40% in the last six months
- Indian Employees
- Data Science Job
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- OLA electric scooter
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons