The mayor of Miami says he will take his next paycheck in bitcoin as the city continues to bill itself as a crypto hub
Francis Suarezon Tuesday took to Twitter to say he'd take his next paycheck in bitcoin.
- He was replying to a tweet asking which politician would be the first to be paid in bitcoin.
"I'm going to take my next paycheck 100% in bitcoin…problem solved!" the mayor said, tagging Mike Sarasti, the city's director of innovation and tech.
Suarez was replying to a tweet by
The interaction was another display of Suarez's bullishness on crypto and his committement to building Miami up as a hub for digital innovation. In October, he told Bloomberg that Miami will advance a plan to pay city workers in bitcoin.
The move, he said, will allow Miami residents to pay fees in bitcoin and even taxes potentially if the county allows it. Suarez also wants the state of
A month earlier, Suarez expressed hope that MiamiCoin, a new crypto project that was recently launched, could one day support the city without its residents having to pay taxes. When bought or mined, the coins allocate 30% of their reward to the city.
Suarez is seeking reelection. The 44-year-old was propelled to fame for his efforts in attracting tech firms and innovators to the city. He spoke at the Bitcoin 2021 Convention in June, said to be the largest bitcoin event in history.
- How OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI
- A leading supplement researcher says she doesn't take any — because she's getting what she needs from her vegan diet
- Mattel rolled out a Barbie to honor a late Cherokee Nation chief with a language error on the box that says 'chicken' instead of 'Cherokee'
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- Air India rejigs 250-aircraft Airbus order
- Retail trumps corporate lending as small-ticket loans see fourfold jump in past two years
- Exploring the nutritional marvel of Gond laddu: A winter delight
- Budget offering: Redmi 13C and Redmi 13C 5G hit Indian market sub ₹10,000