Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales is selling an NFT of its first edit from that reads 'hello world!'
- Christie's is auctioning an
NFTof the first edit Jimmy Walesmade to Wikipedia.
- The edit, made more than two decades ago, read "Hello, World!"
You can now own a remnant of the early days of Wikipedia.
Christie's is auctioning Jimmy Wales' first-ever edit — which read "Hello, World!" — as a non-fungible token. The strawberry-colored Apple computer on which Wales helped found the online encyclopedia is also for sale. The auction, titled "The Birth of Wikipedia," will take place from December 3 to December 15.
Wikipedia launched more than two decades ago on January 15, 2001, with Wales' inaugural edit, "and even today, I'm still amazed at the size and breadth of what it has become," he said in a statement.
The NFT shows the nascent layout of the site and will allow the eventual owner to make edits of their own to the page, which will revert to its original state with a timer, the press release said.
A portion of the sale's proceeds will go toward Wales' social media pilot called WT.Social, which aims to be a healthier alternative to current sites with its donation-only, advertising-free model.
NFTs are simply digital artworks tied to a blockchain, and
Other famous websites have capitalized on the growing market for NFTs, which reached $15 billion in trading volume in October. Twitter creator Jack Dorsey, for example, sold his first tweet, which read "just setting up my twttr," for $2.9 million in March. Also in March, another buyer spent half a million dollars to own an NFT of a New York Times column.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala