Waheeda Rehman to cap glittering career with Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- Rehman is best known for films like Pyaasa, CID and Guide.
- The actor has worked in more than 90 films across languages.
- She is already the recipient of Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan.
Thakur took to his official X account to make the announcement.
"I feel an immense sense of happiness and honour in announcing that Waheeda Rehman ji is being bestowed with the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award this year for her stellar contribution to Indian Cinema," the minister wrote.
Waheeda Rehman: A glittering career
Rehman, 85, made her acting debut with the 1955 Telugu films "Rojulu Maraayi" and "Jayasimha". She made her Hindi cinema debut with "CID", the 1956 film headlined by Dev Anand.
In a career spanning over five decades, the legendary actor has worked in more than 90 films across languages. She received a National Film Award for her role as a clanswoman in "Reshma and Shera" (1971). She is already the recipient of Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan.
"At a time when the historic Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam has been passed by Parliament, her being awarded with this lifetime achievement award is a fitting tribute to one of the leading ladies of Indian Cinema and one who has dedicated her life after films to philanthropy and the greater good of society. I congratulate her and humbly pay my regards to her rich body of work that is an intrinsic part of our film history," Thakur further said in his post on the microblogging site.
Rehman was last seen in "Skater Girl", a 2021 coming-of-age sports drama.
(With text input from PTI)
Popular on BI
- EPFO invested Rs 27,105 crore in exchange trade funds in Apr-Oct: Labour Min
- Cocktails to prasads: What Indians wanted to cook and brew in 2023
- Kiara Advani to David Beckham, the most searched people in India in 2023
- Kashmir to Switzerland and more – India’s 10 most searched travel destinations in 2023
- Five common symptoms of Stomach Cancer