Here's a super-quick guide to what traders are talking about right now
Dave Lutz, head of ETFs at JonesTrading, has an overview of today's markets.
- US markets are looking at a higher open on Friday and heavy volume is expected.
- WTI oil is trading higher amid Iran angst.
- Bitcoin is at fresh highs.
Good Morning! We have a heavy volume session ahead of us, with the "Quad Witch" (expiration of stock options, index options, index futures and single stock futures), S&P and Nasdaq Rebalances, and it's SPDR Ex-Divvy Day, including SPY, QQQ, XOP, XBI, and all the "XL" ETFs. Tax Angst (Smells like normal DC Positioning to me, but we'll see) from yesterday being shrugged off early, with Russell rebounding 40bp from yesterday's selloff. Continental Europe all under pressure, with Consumer getting whacked on H&M and Ferragamo headers, while Fins and Tech see selling - pressing the DAX down 30bp. FTSE is outperforming into their rebalance on the close, with weakness in Banks being offset by a nice pop in Miners. In Asia, Nikkei down 60bp for 4 straight as Yen broke higher and Telecom got smoked as DB downgrades KDDI - Hang Seng lost 1.1% despite the pop in Li&Fung as Tech weakened - Shanghai 80bp as Chinese banks got hit on the PBoC Hike - KOSPI added 50bp, while Aussie off 25bp as banks continued to see selling
The US 10YY is basically unch, but eyes are on Bund Yields trying to hold 30bp, while Portugal's yields are dropping quick ahead of a Fitch Review. DXY has a slight bid, with Euro drifting around $1.18, but the Pound is struggling to hold $1.34 - The $/Y approaching 112 as Tankan shows confidence at 11Y highs, while the Lira trying to claw back from yesterday's smash. Ore was up 2% in China, and Nickel is up 1% and Copper 30bp. Gold adding to yesterday's gains early, adding 30bp. Focus remains on the Energy Complex, as the Forties Pipe Outage and Iran Angst continue to support WTI and Brent despite headers of increasing production.
- WeWork gets a new $1.1 billion cheque from SoftBank while it attempts resurrection – its India franchise is now offering discounts and a global all-access pass
- Supreme Court holds Prashant Bhushan guilty of Contempt of Court — punishment to be announced on August 20
- NASA's Mars Helicopter recharges its batteries for the very first time en route to the Red Planet
- India's COVID-19 cases crosses the 24-lakh mark
- Top stock movers on Dalal Street today — IndiGo, Cipla, Hero MotoCorp, Glenmark Pharma and others