Here's why we call the biggest shopping day of the year 'Black Friday'
Getty/Eduardo Munoz Alvarez
- The origin of the term "Black Friday" is murky.
- The most popular story says that the name came from the fact that the day's sales are so great, it can push retailers "into the black." But the earliest reference to that is 1981.
- But a Philidelphia Inquirer reporter claims he helped popularize the term.
Though most shoppers likely don't stop to think about why we call the day after Thanksgiving "Black Friday," all the same, many have wondered.
The most popular explanation is that the day's sales are so high, it can singlehandedly push a retailer from being "in the red," or losing money, into "the black," or solvency.
That reasoning first appeared in 1981, according to Snopes, but that's apparently years after the Philadelphia police had already coined the term "Black Friday." According to a 1994 article in the Philidelpha Inquier that was written by one of the reporters who claims to have popularized the term, "Black Friday" was actually coined in the 1960s.
Black Friday has long been considered the start of the holiday shopping season, and since Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, many schools and some businesses would be closed the day after.
Stores, however, were not closed, causing a spike in traffic and crowds in Philadelphia's Center City. Police officers in the city started calling the day Black Friday, as they had to work 12-hour shifts to mitigate the madness. From there, the media got a hold of it, and the name was popularized.
The nickname caught on even after PR firms hired by department stores tried to change the name to "Big Friday" in the 1960s. It didn't work, and eventually, Black Friday spread across the US, morphing into the monument to holiday shopping we know today.
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- RBI hikes repo rate by 50 bps, taking it to a three-year high of 5.9% – Das says inflation at ‘alarmingly high levels’ across jurisdictions
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Best 5G mobile phones under ₹20000
- 22 lakh Indian IT professionals likely to leave jobs by 2025: Report
- OnePlus says successfully geared up for 5G launch with 5G-ready smartphone portfolio
- This website generates videos from a single image and text for free – here’s all you need to know
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World