How much every 'Halloween' movie made opening weekend at the box office, including 2018's record-smashing entry
Michael Myers is back with a vengeance.
The latest "Halloween" made $76 million in its opening weekend at the box office, a franchise best and the second-best opening for a horror movie of all time.
That's more than most of the other "Halloween" movies made during their entire domestic grosses. The horror genre has produced plenty of box-office hits in recent years, but the new "Halloween" stands out because of the nostalgia factor.
"Nostalgia - doing right by franchises and their fanbase - right now is the key to a successful reboot," Exhibitor Relations box-office analyst Jeff Bock told Business Insider. "'Predator' and 'Ghostbusters' didn't do it, and look where they're at ... MIA. 'Halloween's' debut has proven without a shadow of a doubt that the nostalgia factor is a massive component in successfully rebooting a franchise in the current marketplace."
The movie brings back franchise star Jamie Lee Curtis in a significant leading role, as well as original director John Carpenter, who produced and scored the new film.
We looked at the opening weekends for every "Halloween" movie and ranked them according to numbers from Box Office Mojo, adjusted for inflation. We also included the adjusted domestic total for comparison.
We didn't include the original "Halloween" movie from 1978 in the ranking because opening weekend figures were not catalogued before the 1980s. Its adjusted total domestic gross is the most of any of its sequels, though, at $183.5 million.
Below is every "Halloween" movie, ranked by opening weekend box office adjusted for inflation:
10. "Halloween 5" (1989)
9. "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers" (1988)
8. "Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers" (1995)
7. "Halloween: Resurrection" (2002)
6. "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" (1982)
5. Rob Zombie's "Halloween II" (2009)
4. "Halloween II" (1981)
3. "Halloween H20: 20 Years Later" (1998)
2. Rob Zombie's "Halloween" (2007)
1. "Halloween" (2018)
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- A boomer grandma advises on how to set boundaries with millennial kids when it comes to babysitting
- India's best relaxing holiday spots for peaceful retreats
- Inter-ministerial approval board can permit demarcation of non-processing area under IT sector SEZs
- Winter wellness: 10 Amla recipes to embrace this season
- ‘Confident’ Indians might splurge on big-ticket items in 2024
- Tata Power stock zooms ahead after brokerage on upgrade