I save $162 and burn an extra 5,000 calories each month by walking to work
USA Today has reported that the average American spends 51 minutes a day getting to and from work. That adds up to 204 hours a year spent commuting, an alarming statistic to scientists, who have found that commuting can have a severe, negative impact on your mental and physical health.Rather than waste those hours sitting on a subway, I decided to make the most of them.
The daily 3.2-mile round trip burns about 250 calories, amounting to roughly 5,000 extra calories per month and 60,000 per year.On top of the built-in exercise, I cut $112 - the price of New York's monthly metro pass - from my expenses; and because the commute doubles as my exercise, I save an additional $50 that would go towards a gym membership.
- Chris Gayle appears four times in the top 10 list of most sixes hit in an IPL match
- Up-close and not so personal with Munnar’s pit vipers, gliding frogs and more
- Haryana government extends lockdown in the state till May 24
- UK's Cairn Energy identifies $70 billion Indian assets for seizing to recover amount due from government
- States to receive nearly 51 lakh COVID-19 vaccine doses in next three days, says Union Health Ministry