IIT Delhi Director Dr V Ramgopal Rao says IITs across the country are lagging behind in innovation and research
"In terms of publication, India is delivering good work but when it comes to innovation, there is zero contribution. Research and innovation is an area where we are lagging behind. We are in race of publishing papers which nobody is interested in," he said, during an event in the national capital.
Rao further went on to pitch for better and more infrastructure for students, adding that real innovation in technology has not even started as it requires technology incubation centers which institutes today are lacking.
"We need to focus on the problems that our country has. Our researchers should work on those issues which will help in solving these problems. For example, our students should visit the hospitals and understand the process of the functioning," Rao said.
Professor Pradipta Banerji, director at
Banerji added that despite thousands of innovation, the reason there is no impact is lack of industry participation. He said it's the role of government to facilitate this process and build an ecosystem.
- Zimbabwe's health minister fired over COVID-19 graft scandal
- West Bengal records highest single-day deaths of 25 COVID-19 patients
- COVID-19: West Bengal records highest single-day deaths of 25 COVID-19 patients
- Realists enjoy more long-term happiness than optimists: Study
- May impose total lockdown if COVID-19 situation worsens: Meghalaya DyCM