The number of Americans filing for unemployment unexpectedly spiked to 419,000 last week
- Initial jobless claims for last week came in at 419,000, far above expectations for 350,000.
- Continuing claims, or the total number of Americans receiving benefits, were 3.236 million.
- Most labor-market data from the past couple of months suggests a quickly recovering
Initial jobless claims for the week that ended Saturday came in at 419,000, far higher than the consensus expectation for 350,000, according to Bloomberg.
The unexpected spike in the number of Americans newly out of work from last week's revised figure of 368,000 is another in a series of blips in a noisy but gradually declining measure.
While the number of Americans newly filing for
Continuing claims, which measure the number of Americans actually receiving benefits, stood at 3.236 million, down from last week's revised figure of 3.265 million but above the consensus estimate for 3.1 million.
Several states have begun to unwind the federal supplemental unemployment-insurance programs passed over the past year to address the economic fallout from the pandemic, with governors arguing that the benefits are discouraging unemployed workers from seeking new jobs.
Those programs, which include an extra $300 a week for anyone receiving unemployment, along with benefits for workers who have exhausted their normal state
Jobless claims are far below their pandemic-era highs, during which millions of Americans applied for benefits each week as mass shutdowns, layoffs, and furloughs swept across the country. Still, they remain above their precrisis trend of about 200,000 a week, suggesting there's still plenty of room for the labor market to improve.
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022