Delhi Election 2020: BJP’s Vijay Goel, who ‘deliberately’ broke traffic rules in Delhi, hopes to re-create Lok Sabha success
- And, as the Narendra Modi-led
Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP) government gears up for Delhi elections next month, Goel seems to be confident that the BJP will form the government in Delhi.
- Goel, who became the president of BJP’s Delhi unit in 2013 argued that the two opposition parties — Congress and
Aam Aadmi Party(AAP) — may forge an alliance in the upcoming assembly elections.
- This is the first time that the national capital is going to polls after the Lok Sabha elections. In the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, BJP bagged all the seats in Delhi.
And, as the Narendra Modi-led Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government gears up for Delhi elections next month, protests became a key electoral issue. In spite of it all, Goel is confident.
"In the last Lok Sabha election, BJP won all seven seats and by that calculation, we won 65 Assembly seats in Delhi. We also won the last Delhi municipal corporation election. People of Delhi have seen development by the Modi government," Goel told ANI.
‘Blame game’ — The battle is on
As campaigning is heated from both sides, the ruling AAP and the BJP engaged in a blame game.
Goel, who became the president of BJP’s Delhi unit in 2013 argued that the two opposition parties — Congress and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) — may forge an alliance in the upcoming assembly elections as both are in accord for protests over CAA, corruption and NRC (National Register of Citizens).
Symbolic violation of odd-even rule
As Delhi heads to assembly polls, pollution crisis, cracking down on unauthorised residential colonies and a full statehood are the key issues brought up by the AAP. However, the BJP calls it an ‘election stunt.’ A few months back, the Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP rolled out the odd-even scheme in Delhi to cut down on pollution levels. As a response, Goel said he would deliberately ride an odd-numbered vehicle on an even day, violating the rule.
"My violation of odd-even scheme of the Kejriwal government will be symbolic because it's an election stunt and drama in view of assembly election," Goel told PTI.
However, taking a cue from the AAP, the BJP government rolled out the ‘ jahan jhuggi wahin makaan’ (a home in place of a slum) scheme. It is dedicated to providing homes to over 20 lakh people living in the slums. Goel said that this housing scheme will be implemented on their newly claimed land.
On January 10, BJP announced its 15-member election committee constituting the president
Delhi Election 2020: Atishi, an Oxford graduate and Rhodes scholar is drawing up AAP’s agenda in the national capital
Gautam Gambhir wins his debut election from East Delhi
Delhi election 2020: Gopal Rai, a minister with multiple portfolios who likes to flash AAP’s ‘report card’ as he seeks votes
- Bird poop worth $470 million is at risk — could hold the key to saving seabirds across the world
- COVID crashed profit and Pidilite couldn’t fix it— yet
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate rises to 67.62% and case fatality rate drops to 2.07%